Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Installing Android platform tools (ADB) on Ubuntu and Debian systems

Here is a short script I use to install the latest version of Android platform tools on those of my systems I do not need full blown Android SDK on:




The script requires root permissions to install prerequisite packages. It downloads and unpacks adb and fastboot binaries into $ANDROID_SDK_HOME/platform-tools/ folder (or into ~/android/platform-tools/ if $ANDROID_SDK_HOME is not defined). The folder will be added to the current $PATH. And finally the script will create a universal udev rule to take care of device permissions for all Android devices regardless of their VendorID.

The script has been tested on 32 and 64-bit versions of Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10 and Debian 7.0, 7.1, 7.2.

5 comments:

  1. Tried it out today and found that the http link to the repository no longer works.
    While the SSL link (https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/) did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the old repo link is still working fine for me the Android SDK Manager does indeed use the new location. So I updated my script. Also I made another script which actually parses SDK Manager source code to find out the most recent repo URL here https://gist.github.com/ktnr74/911c2e122832919c4a86#file-install_adb-sh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, you saved me about 12GB :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! worked fine on my Ubuntu 14.04

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this - I tried on Gallium OS (chromebook), but had to comment out the line checking for Debian or Ubuntu. Its still installiing so I'll report back if it actually works.....

    ReplyDelete